Sunday, February 13, 2011

FLS

I was supposed to start this sweater last year around this time... but never got around to doing anything except salvaging the yarn. It's from a very large Men's J.Crew jumper that was very square and boxy, but such a lovely color. Purple, plus, grey, white, black all heathered together. So nice!

January 25, 2010 - Yarn for FLS (2)

I made a failed attempt to start in October, but I had an old copy of the pattern and could never really get the yoke started because the pattern made NO sense. I put it on my project cards for the year, not really expecting to start it any time soon... But on February 1st, startitis struck and I wanted to knit something, but couldn't decide. I shuffled my cards and got the FLS. I wasn't super thrilled considering I had had so man difficulties getting started the first time, but I sat down and started again... And no luck...

Finally, I figured out I had an old copy. I downloaded the new one, loaded it on my kindle and also printed it out and I was ready!

I got through the yoke fairly easily until the YO round. I didn't get them spaced in a way I really liked the first time, so I pulled out the row and re-did the numbers so I could spread them out in a better way. (All the details are on my project page on Ravelry)

The next hard part was getting the lace to fit well. I had done the sleeves in a normal raglan fashion, measuring as I went to make sure they would fit around my arm, but when I got to the right size for my arm, I didn't have the right number of stitches to spread the lace evenly over 7 stitches minus the 16 for the edge. I couldn't really figure out how to fix this. I eventually just pulled back the first repeat of lace that I had done and a few rows of the garter stitch, and magically had a number that worked! I ended up with 270 sts. I have 56 sts across my sleeve, 72 across the back, and 43 on each front. (43-8 for the button band is 35). It worked out perfectly and made my life so much easier.

February 9, 2011 - FLS

I'm just going through all the lace repeats now. I'm in the middle of my 6th repeat. I'll be adding buttonholes all the way down too. I just don't want a boob tent sweater, which is what this one will do with the buttons as they are now.

February 12, 2011 - My FLS so far!

No comments: