Friday, June 26, 2009

Hey, I knit sometimes...

I just finished a winter set for a wonderful friend in Canada. She needed a wine-grape colored scarf, hat, and mitten set for those cold, cold winters.

I knew immediately what scarf I wanted to make once I finally found the yarn... (That took ages! Everything was too red or too pink.) I ordered 7 balls of Malabrigo Chunky in Velvet Grapes and got to work.*

Here is the hat.
DSCN5191DSCN5192June 22 - Hat
I completely made it up as I went along. I knew I wanted the band around the base to match the stitch pattern from the scarf and just went from there. It turned out so well. I am planning on writing up the pattern over the next week and sharing it with everyone. It was a real pleasure to knit. It's lined with some micro-fleece to be extra-super warm.

And the mittens.
DSCN5203DSCN5204

They are also completely made up as I went. I made lots of notes so I could match them perfectly and was very pleasantly surprised at how well I wrote my notes out! They are a little longer than normal mittens. I hate when there is that gap between your mitten and jacket when you reach out your arms. Hopefully, the extra few inches will stop that. They also have a fleece lining for more warmth. I really love these mittens. I might have to make a bunch more. They are so nice and so warm.

Here is a refresher of the scarf. It's my go-to scarf pattern. I love it.

Velvet Grapes ScarfVelvet Grapes Scarf

I'm working on the finishing for Grandpa's blanket. I had it about half done and all seamed together and HATED the way it looked. I am not a great crocheter, so I took a bit of time off from it, learned a new stitch, practiced a lot and now it's going much better. I'm hoping to have it done by Tuesday or Wednesday so I can mail it to my Mom and have her deliver it to him. She's really excited about seeing it.


*Sorry if any of this is a repeat, but I'm too lazy to look back and see what I posted about before.

2 comments:

abby said...

that's such a lovely, chunky, warm looking scarf. you've got a lucky friend!

Mel said...

I absolutely love it. The weather's been so cold, I'm going to start wearing the set very soon. :)