Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Cuppa

Caffeine. For migraines, sometimes it can mean relief, sometimes more pain.  When we moved to California, I was pretty much off caffeine, maybe some tea every now and then, and maybe a Coke a week, which I will blame on my co-worker's addiction to giant McDonald's Cokes. So, I thought it might be a good time to try not having caffeine for prolonged periods. Meh.

After quite a few months, all I can say is, caffeine probably doesn't give me migraines unless I overdo it. In fact, I think it might help stave off a few. They've been running out of control the last 6-7 months, but I know there are a lot of other factors contributing. Winter is always tough since cold makes me hunch up and tighten up too much. For the last 5 years or so, they have been much worse in the colder months than warmer months. The Botox I had last May totally wore off right about the time we got here. More on that later. I think the biggest factor was the move. Moving was rough. The trips out here were really hectic and everything was such a whirlwind for about 10 weeks. I think by the time we got to Christmas, my body was just done for a while.


So now I'm adding caffeine back into my diet slowly, just a cup of caffeinated tea, green or otherwise, every few days. I'm hoping the green tea will help with my skin too. It's been a little blah since we got here, but that might be because this house is very cold and grey/beige inside, so it makes my skin kind of look icky too. One bathroom is ugly bright sea foam green, and the other is bright orangey-yellow, neither with good lighting, so trying to look at yourself in those mirrors is never really a treat. Blergh.


Back to the Botox, whew, what I wouldn't give to get another one of those treatments! By far, the most helpful thing I've had done for prevention. Too bad it's so very crazy expensive... and that's after the outrageous expense of trying to buy individual health insurance. I had been going back and forth about what to do about insurance. I have applied for disability, but it could take 4 months to hear back. I applied for medical assistance in Colorado while I was in school, but was told I wasn't eligible since I wasn't over a certain age and didn't have children. Since I'm still technically a Colorado resident, I don't know what else to do about medical assistance. I'm only 4 years older and I definitely haven't had any children and am not ever going to. I'm in limbo, which totally sucks. I can't even afford to go down the mountain to the chiropractor/massage therapist.

Enough complaining for today, I'm going to knit a scarf! And I did manage to take some photos!

No comments: